Pa Jun – Korean Scallion Pancakes
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes (can leave out)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup potato or rice flour
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bunch scallion sliced diagonally in 2 inch pieces
- 1 carrot julienned
- 1 small sweet onion (Vidalia) or 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 1 small squash (preferably gray squash) julienned or cut into matchsticks
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine in a large bowl the all purpose flour, potato flour, egg, oil, salt and water. Mix until the batter is smooth. Stir in the vegetables. The batter should be a little runnier than American pancake batter. If not, add a little more water.
- Heat a frying or saute pan in medium heat and coat with vegetable oil. Ladle in some batter and spread into thin circle. You can make it as large as the pan or make smaller pancakes. Cook until the bottom is brown and crisp, flip and cook the other side the same. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Drain the finished pancakes on paper towels. Cut large pancakes into triangles and serve with dipping sauce.