Made by DH and modified from a recipe from recipezaar.com. This is one of the easiest risotto recipe I was able to find on the internet, easy being important since the husband was cooking. Next time I’m going to experiment by adding some white wine which is common in other risotto recipes.
Time: 10 min prep, 35 min cooking
Serving size: 4 (The original recipe has 1 cup of rice serving 6 but that would never fly in my house of rice lovers!)
Served with: crumb coated cod and broiled asparagus
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced (white, cremini or mixture)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 4 cups of hot vegetable broth
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1/2 cup of grated pecorino romano
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a deep non-stick skillet, sauté mushroom in butter, season with salt and pepper and set aside
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add in rice and stir for 1 minute until the rice is coated in oil.
- Stir in 1 cup of the hot broth and let it simmer while frequently stirring until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Repeat with the remaining broth until the rice is done. If you need more liquid, you could use hot water at this point.
- Add the mushroom, cheese and parsley, season to taste and serve immediately.