Planes, Trains and Automobile with all the mishaps!

And buses and taxis, lots of buses and taxis!  I added up the hours and we did indeed spend about 3.5 days just traveling to and from places.

There is so much to write about that I don’t know how to begin.  I guess I’ll start with the first official day of our vacation.

Day 1

We left for the airport two hours before departure.  We got to the airport, now 1.5 hours before take-off and found out that we couldn’t check in without the credit  card that we purchased the tickets.  American Express that we had left behind because we read that they are not readily accepted in Peru.

The check-in guy looked at us like we were idiots and told us that there was nothing he could do.  He threw his hands up in the air and cursed us out (I think) in Spanish.  We tried begging.  He was unrelenting.

We started calling family members to see if anyone could get the credit card for us.  To complicate matters, the person would have to go to my father-in-law’s house to pick up the keys and then go to our house to pick up the card.  Did I mention that it was 1.5 hours before take-off?

With D making phone calls, D’s cousin (Dr. Cousin) making phone calls while interjecting a few “por favours” and the guy mumbling in Spanish, it would have been comical if this was indeed a movie.  The check-in guy started pounding on his keyboard and told us he couldn’t do anything.  Then he told us that he would get in to a lot of trouble.  Then he slid some security card back and forth and demanded all of my identifications ( the AMEX card was in my name).  I gave him my two other credit cards, my ATM card, my driver’s license, and my passport.  He was uncommunicative except for mumbling in Spanish and continuing to pound on the keyboard.

D was still trying to talk to his Dad about where to find the wallet.  Dr. Cousin convinced her sister to start driving.  We went through all this motion and the check-in guy was not telling us anything.  Since he didn’t tell us to get lost, we held our breath, hoping for the best and fearing the worst.  Minutes crawled by.

Tears started welling up in my eyes and just when I thought they were going to spill over, he handed us the boarding tickets.  He yelled more Spanish to me and didn’t even acknowledge my heartfelt thank you’s.

We ran for the security line, lost Soso’s light jacket on the way, but got through to the gate with 30 minutes to spare.

Soso excited to be leaving for Peru!

Landing in Atlanta, another 6 hours to go!

Finally passed out from fatigue.

The flights were uneventful, just long.  We arrived in Lima around midnight and was met up by D’s cousins.  1 hour cab ride later, we were home and crashed into bed.

Time spent traveling: 13.5 hours

Mishaps: 1

Stayed tuned for Day 2.


One thought on “Planes, Trains and Automobile with all the mishaps!

  1. Oh my! I really hope Day 2 starts off better 🙂 Looking forward to hearing all about it!! And seeing the photos on the new camera!
    Welcome home ❤

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s