I know it is still summer, but it had been unseasonably cold here. When you’re wearing a sweater and tempted to turn on the heat, all of sudden hot soup seems quite reasonable in August.
Plus, cauliflowers were on sale.
By the time I had time to make the soup, the hot days were back. I had a large head of cauliflower, now starting to spot, that had to be cooked. With a sick, coughing, hacking child on hand, I thought soup was still doable.
I intended to make it vegan with vegetable stock, but I had an open box of chicken broth that had to be used. So, since I was in for a penny, I decided to go for the whole pound and add cream. The result was a dreamy, creamy soup. It would have been fine without, but the cream definitely added that extra creaminess that can’t be replicated.
Cumin Spiced Cauliflower Soup
Time: 20 mins prep, 30 – 40 mins cooking
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into smaller florets
- 1 large potato, cut into medium dice
- 2 celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon cumin power
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley for garnish
- 6 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup light cream
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add about 2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Quickly add the grated ginger, cumin, paprika and turmeric and let them cook. Add the garlic and stir for a minutes. Add the celery, carrots, onion, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper and sauté for a couple of minutes. Lower the heat if needed to prevent any burning.
- Add the cauliflower and stir until coated. Pour in broth, cover and cook until the cauliflowers are starting to get tender. Add the potatoes and cook until both cauliflower and potatoes are tender.
- Carefully puree in batches and add back to the pot. If serving immediately, stir in cream, salt and pepper to taste. Serve with parsley as garnish. Leave out the cream if freezing.
- For vegan option, use vegetable broth and leave out cream.