I have been slacking in the meal planning department. Take this week for example. I have tacos, hotdogs and tofu on the menu.
Easy no-brainer meals. I might as well have put down veggie burger and pizza and be done with it.
But, I felt guilty and guilt is a huge motivator for me.
So, I came up with this fantastically flavorful and succulent shrimp. OK, perhaps fantastic is an exaggeration. It is flavorful and it is succulent. There’s nothing worse than over cooked shrimp. The key is to stop cooking the shrimp as soon as it turns pink all over.
I’m kinda proud of this dish and I don’t impress me all that often. To make it even easier, use already cleaned shrimp from the frozen section. I like the Costco brand.
I had about a pound of the large shrimps in the freezer. It amounted to 15 or so shrimps which was fine for us, but it would not have served another adult.
I wrote out the recipe to serve four by increasing the shrimp to 1.5 – 2 lbs, anywhere from 6 – 8 shrimps per person. Cook the shrimp in batches. No crowding in the pan! Cook one side at a time.
My biggest problem was I had no idea what to call it. Zesty Shrimp? Sorta Spicy Shrimp? Garlicky Shrimp? I settled on Spanish Style because I was planning on eating it with yellow rice.
I think this dish would serve beautifully as a hot appetizer or as part of a tapas meal as well.
Spanish Style Shrimp with Garlic
Time: 10 mins prep, 15 mins cooking
- 1.5 – 2 lbs large shrimp, cleaned, de-veined and patted dry
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1.5 teaspoon paprika
- 1.5 teaspoon coriander seed
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lemon, juiced
- extra-virgin olive oil
- handful of cilantro or parsley for garnish, chopped
- Sprinkle salt on the shrimp and set aside.
- In a large fry pan, heat about two tablespoon of olive oil. Add coriander seeds and sauté a few minutes to release the flavor. Add paprika, pepper and garlic and cook until the garlic starts turning golden.
- Add shrimp in single layer and cook for a minute. When the bottom starts to pink, turn over the shrimp to cook the other side. If you have more shrimp to fry, removed the cooked shrimp and keep warm and fry the rest.
- When all the shrimp are cooked, add back to the fry pan and add the lemon juice. Stir gently to coat all the shrimp. Garnish with cilantro or parsley and serve immediately.